Creature Fear



"Not the needle, nor the thread, the lost decree. Saying nothing, that's enough for me."




Woods by paumatias


Archive


January 2010 February 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 September 2010 October 2010 November 2010 December 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 August 2011 September 2011 October 2011 November 2011 December 2011 January 2012 February 2012 March 2012 April 2012 May 2012 June 2012 July 2012 August 2012 September 2012 October 2012 November 2012 December 2012 January 2013 February 2013 March 2013 April 2013 May 2013 July 2013 August 2013 October 2013 January 2014 March 2015 August 2015 July 2017 March 2019

Blankets by Craig Thompson - NOT A BOOK REVIEW Sunday, October 23, 2011 @ 12:34 AM

I'm never really much credible to give a accurate book critique as I cannot really pinpoint exactly the technical aspects of a good one and the what should I really look for when you consider one just awful. All I know is that sometimes I enjoy reading books (as a hobby). Sometimes, I get more bored than just sitting at one corner and doing nothing. Also, I'm not one who's willing to buy random books just by the synopsis. I thoroughly read reviews and ask people if a book is good enough for me to actually finish from cover to cover.

So here I am, trying to give my nonsense thoughts on a particular graphic novel. It's my first time to actually read one and it took me numerous "top 10 graphic novels of all time" google searches before I finally managed to decided which one to get, and I ended up having my mom to buy me Blankets by Craig Thompson as an advanced christmas gift (oh that was some bloody forcing right there).


When I handed over my mother's credit card, I was surprised that the register marked off 5% from the original price. BDO really has awesome perks! Anyway, I was glad enough even though it was just 5% off. The book is regularly priced at 1499 (I am sorry Lord for being such a spoiled brat at times) and it just ticks me off thinking I might not even enjoy reading it.

Well moving on, when I opened the book I was amazed at the glorious artwork. I was being my geeky self that time as it was my first time to read a graphic novel of that sort. And so I read the book cover to cover and was shocked to see the clock didn't move that much, and I actually finished that thick book! 500 plus pages and it took me around three hours to finish everything, minus the occasional bathroom breaks. and I thought it takes me ages to finish a very short chemistry book chapter...

I wasn't being silly though as if I rip all those elaborate drawings apart and glued solely the written words, I'm estimating a hundred couple of pages worth of reading in total. Not too bad I guess. But I still felt iffy about thinking how fast that 1,400+ bucks flew of in just three hours. See, I cannot fully comprehend the value of a book because I am no reader by hobby. I don't collect books and I have tons of other books I bought that I never finished. But with this one, irregardless of it being a graphic novel or not, is definitely one of my prized acquisitions. As I was reading it, I thought that the author was portraying to me, as in how I slowly became different after being in a relationship. I mean, heck we all turn different at some point when we enter a relationship. But this one's a different kind of relationship, and I'm too lazy to further expound.

Let me just say that after finishing the book, I bought a rosary and went to Manaoag with my parent so I can have it blessed. I truly forgot that I am born a Christian and will always be one. That no matter how I, from time to time, question his authority and get frustrated believing something that scientifically doesn't exist, he still does something. I may have become almost an atheist over the last couple of years for absolutely no reason but I HAD faith, and it took me a graphic novel to have found it again.





Leave me a rose | 0 roses left.